A second teen boy has been arrested in connection with the sexual assault of a 15-year-old girl that was streamed last month on Facebook Live, police said.
They will next appear in court April 21 and 28, respectively.
Over the weekend, a 14-year-old boy was also arrested in connection with the attack, and both suspects were charged as jouveniles with aggravated criminal assault, manufacturing of child porn and dissemination of child porn.
The 15-year-old boy's lawyer, assistant public defender Liliana Dago, questioned that prosecutors had proven probable cause, particularly on the child pornography charges. Police say they expect others to be charged.
"Tonight, CPD (Chicago Police Department) arrested the first of several juvenile offenders in the Facebook sexual assault incident", the department's chief spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said on Twitter twtr , adding that a news conference would provide further details on Sunday. Police said as many as 40 people saw the video on Facebook and no one called police. Brendan Deenihan told reporters on Sunday.
Since the assault, the victim has been bullied online, police said. A second suspect has been taken into custody in the case, but the girl's ordeal continues to plague the progress of the investigation, Chicago Police Cmdr.
Chicago police arrest 14-year-old in rape on Facebook Live
The girl's mother was shown the screenshots and was able to identify her daughter, the Tribune reported. The Post typically does not name victims of sexual assault.
The teen was reported missing the afternoon of March 19 after she didn't return from a store in Chicago's Lawndale neighborhood. It was also recorded on cell phones, said police.
"This is just a very traumatic incident", Deenihan told reporters.
Johnson reportedly said that though the young girl went through a awful ordeal, she was able to stay strong. "Sometimes you just have to give a person time to go to counseling or therapy, because you know they're breaking down". Eddie Johnson called the case "reprehensible."
The Chicago Sun-Times later reported that the girl's family had been relocated and the girl hasn't returned to her school.
Guglielmi has said police were not aware of the attack until the girl's mother approached Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson as he was leaving a police station on the city's West Side and showed him the video.
"They've humiliated themselves, humiliated their families, and now they're going to be held accountable for what they did".