6 remain hospitalized from hotel carbon monoxide poisonings

Investigators found the source of the leak to be a faulty pool heater.

One child has been killed and more than a dozen other people injured in the U.S. state of MI after a carbon monoxide leak in the indoor pool of a hotel in the city of Niles.

Memorial Hospital of South Bend in IN, some 10 miles from the hotel in the southern MI city of Niles, is now treating nine patients - eight children and one adult. They range from ages 12 to 14.

The leak was discovered on Saturday morning (Sunday NZT) at the Quality Inn & Suites after staff members glanced through the window of the hotel's indoor pool and saw several children unconscious on the deck, according to a local report. The child died on the way to the hospital, while 6 other affected children were expected to make a full recovery.

First responders rushed to a Quality Inn and Suites in Niles, Michigan, after children were found unconscious poolside due to carbon-monoxide poisoning. The maximum allowable by OSHA standards is 50 parts per million.

Rescuers quickly managed to get her fully conscious and she was able to walk outside to an ambulance.

The hotel has been closed for the time being, police said. One child has been treated and released, a hospital spokesperson told ABC News.

Liverpool face fine and transfer ban for tapping up Stoke schoolboy
Liverpool are facing the prospect of a transfer ban over an illegal approach for a Stoke City schoolboy, according to reports.

"She was screaming, 'My kids, my kids, '" the witness said. "I didn't see any movement in their bodies at all".

NewsCenter 16 has a crew working to gather more information. He realized, however, that something was amiss when he heard commotion. No one was found in the pool.

It's unclear if there is a carbon monoxide detector in the hotel's pool area.

"At those levels, they don't have much time before they go unresponsive", Wise said.

A faulty pool heater caused the leak said officials after an investigation.

They added, "Our highest priority is always the safety and well-being of our guests".

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.